27/03/12

INDOMARET UNIFORM DESIGN CONTEST 2012




yes people, I've joined 4 competition (so far) and this is my 4th with the 2nd biggest price (after Miami fashion week, which I didn't make it to the finals).

So, not so long ago, I spotted a a photo which contains informations about Indomaret Uniform Design Contest from my previous previous small fashion design course, Phalie Studio. The prices are awesomely nice. hha.. So I decided to join in. :D and also to practice my illustration (Laura Laine wannabe :DD) .

ps: Indomaret is one of the most franchised minimart in Indonesia, everywhere you go, u will find indomaret :D

At first I design something random, no concept, no something. Than, my dad give me an advice to see the corporation's profile. So, I found the vision of Indomaret itself, which is becoming a national asset in franchised something-something (idk how to translate to English, sorry people D: ). But, my time was up to think because my cousin was coming to Jakarta and I had to pick her up. So at the airport, I saw "visit Indonesia" commercial and has batik in it. Because of that, I decided to use the concept of "100% love Indonesia".

Since Indomaret wanted to become the national asset, I decided to use my own design of batik motif , which is motif batik kawung (batik from solo), due to its popularity in many societies, with the corporate color, which was blue, yellow, red, and white. Especially since many international franchised minimarts have arrived in Indonesia, especially in Jakarta.

I hope that the batik motif I design for Indomaret will be useful to them as the corporate identity as Singapore Airlines with their motif on their employees uniform. So, when people see my batik motif design, they see Indomaret.


As for the colour, I used their corporate color, which were red, blue, and yellow where blue became the major color due to the calming effect to people psychologically. 

So, I send them 2 designs alternatives, first one is the shirt, and second is the polo shirt.

I send it, and I wait for it. About more than 2 weeks ago, someone called me and he said that I made it to the TOP 5!! My goodness!! I made it, hha.. from more than 200 designs, my polo with batik motif shirt made it to top 5!! BUT, I have to make the toile (sample garment) of the uniforms for both boy and girl and I have to presented with Power Point slides on the 27th of March.

NOW, the problem was, ALMOST NO ONE could print my batik motif. 10 days before the "war" date, I found someone who could print it, BUT HE NEEDED 12 DAYS TO FINISH IT!! In the end, I used transfer paper to print the batik motif. hha XDD




The next problem, my mom and I didn't really trust other people to sew it, so I made the pattern and do all printing stuff (and also some sewings) and my mom do the rest of the sewings. The problem was I don't have sewing machine specialized for jerseys (a.k.a t-shirts), so my mom and I made a toile with the LOWEST QUALITY EVER and the batik motifs cracks due to the not-so-permanent-sticky of the transfer paper. my goodness. So I explained what happened during the process and blah blah blah. At least they didn't really care about the quality, because visually the toile was same as the design I made and the fact that my mom and I sew it. But, my principle, Miss Tanya, told me that the judges care about what happened visually only. So, she comfort me the day before my "war"

And the "war" day arrived, I made a new friends and my senior was one of the top 5 also. I got the last to present my design. I present as lively as I could, at least they laugh and nods at some facts that I give them. The judges loved the idea of batik as the corporate identity, but the production is quite complicated. I didn't hope that much due to that fact.

During the announcement, the judges told us that our designs were judge by corporate identity, originality, production, and the whole package. And the winner with the highest score was MEE!!!!!!!!! yes!! so Indomaret will use my design, my batik motif!! TYL!!

The Marketing Director loved my idea of using batik motif that I design for the corporate identity :DDDD




Indomaret will do some changes to my design, like the fabric will be changed with cotton drill, and the white stripes will be disappeared, *so many changes!! hha.. at least they still keep the motif batik that I design and I get the price :D the rest, I don't care*

ps: This design is now and officially belongs to PT. INDOMARCO PRISMATAMA (INDOMARET)
Mr. Taufik (from Indomaret) allowed me to post this on my blog. COPY RIGHTED!! HHA.. my very first copy right design!! YAHOOO!!

Thank you so much to:
Phalie Studio for sharing this competition
Raffles Design Institute Jakarta:
Mr. Sanjay - lecturer
Miss Tanya - for the man's long torso block
Mom and Dad and My big sist
Cousins (for being awesome cheerleaders and ask me out and go yahoo yahoo)
Friends in Raffles, Regina Pacis Jakarta, and AK (for being a great cheerleader)
NAFA:
Susan See - for teaching me how to illustrate and present a portfolio to a client
Indomaret:
Judges
Models
from Indomaret itself
and GOD!!

Thank you so much for all of your support!! God bless!!



(translation: Indomaret Uniform Design Contest 2012, certificate to Maria Valentine Lydia (me!!) as a winner!!)

1 komentar:

  1. This blog is very good which contains lot of information about uniform design.
    Uniform Design

    BalasHapus